Uni - what it is like

10:00:00 AM

Well, what is a better way to start a university blog than with a little description of what it's been like so far. I have only been at uni for for two years with one year left but I feel I know a lot. My first year experience is very different to the one in y second year.

It all starts when they assign you to an accommodation and if you go to one of those overcrowded universities you will know that 99% of the time you would end up in either your third choice accommodation or halls that you never heard of and, consequently, never put it down as one of your choices. I was put into Point Exe halls, which, if you are not from Exeter, won't mean anything to you and if you are, then most likely you will sigh and think "daaaamn that's far". Yeah.. it was not a lucky one to get. And don't be fooled by google maps telling you it will take "17 minutes walking", it's utter crap. None of this accounts for a huge hill that you are expected to conquer every day and for your personal slow walking. Long story short, it would take me about 24-27 minutes depending on the weather to get the Business school building. This isn't a joke, by the time you got there - you are all sweaty and exhausted so the only thing you want to do is leave and go back to bed, or simply not leave at all. This was my big issue last year, I always rushed back to the halls, at my earliest opportunity without spending an extra minute on campus. I don't really know why, my bed wasn't as comfy and my flatmates, while being great, weren't very clean so that gave me anxiety. Yet, I would refuse to spend any time on campus that I wasn't supposed to spend there. That was a huge mistake and I only realised that in my second year.

People that I got put in a flat with were very different, without too many personal details I'd just say that if all 5 of us met elsewhere in any other setting I don't think any of us would be friends with each other. But you know how it happens, you get put somewhere you don't know with people you don't know and it actually works out for some reason, somehow. So it worked out for us as well. Not all of us but hey, you can't always get everything. Having said that it worked out for us, I still ended up living with other people in my second year but we are still good. Again, the mistake that I made in first year was that I never bothered to meet other people outside of my flat so by the time I started my second year and started to realise that everyone around me knows more than 4 people and those people being definitely not their flatmates.

When starting uni, no one has an idea of what s going on. Literally, nobody has a clue. Freshers are so easy to tell apart from the rest of students, especially at the beginning of the year, they all look so confused and terrified. I was a terrified fresher for the whole year and not knowing many people to help you out and guide you doesn't help either. With academics, unlike school, your teacher isn't going to take care of you and try and help you to do better. This is a big thing not many people understand before starting at the university. Once you are there - you're on your own. In school they want you to do better, they will push those who aren't bothered. There is a difference between "not getting it" and "not being bothered". If you are struggling at uni and need help - there is plenty available, but if you don't care and not putting even minimal effort, then no one is going to push you and try and motivate you. This is the hardest thing that I had to learn.

I will be back later this week with more detailed posts on so many more topics, but for now, that's it :)

Hope you enjoyed reading, thank you for taking the time,
A.T.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe